Sunday, September 14, 2008

Pretty & Poisonous

Who would not want a garden with loads of flowers in full bloom? As pleasing to the eye as they are flowers and plants can still be hazardous to your health.  How bad?? Here are the top 10 of poisonous plants:
At Number 1o...
Dining of the bulb of Narcissus in large quantities may result in:
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Cramps
  • Diarrhea

At Number 9...

The leaves of
 Rhododendrons and azalea bushes (a variety of rhododendron) are toxic & so is honey made from its flowers' nectar. Consumption of either may result in:
  • Mouth Burns
  • Increased salivation, Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Tingling sensation in the skin
  • Headaches, weak muscles
  • Dim vision
  • Slowing down of heart rate
  • Irregular heartbeats
  • Convulsions
  • Coma
At Number 8...
The milky sap of the leaves & the stems of all Ficus (aka weeping
 fig, Benjamin Tree) is toxic. Ficus trees come in an assortment of sizes and is a preferred indoor plant grown in tubs & pots.
If come in contact with the sap the skin would itch & puff up similar to an aller
gic reaction.

At Number 7...
Every part of the Oleander plant is
 toxic. Even inhaling the smoke of burning Oleander can cause problems. Exposure to its poison may result in:
  • Change in heart rate (slowing down of heart-rate/palpitations) 
  • High potassium levels.

At Number 6...
The chrysanthemum is a pretty sight! Although it is sometimes grown to chase 
animals such as
 rabbits away,  flower heads are somewhat toxic to humans. The effects of exposure however are mild, ranging from itchyness to puffs.

At Number 5...

A common garden item, Anthuriums is a delight to the eyes.
 Coming in an assortment of colors, the flower just not merely sit in the garden, but also adorns many a functions & bouquets. However, th
e leaves and stems of this plant are toxic. Acc
idental consumption could result in painful burning senstions in the mouth, which would later swell and cause blisters.  Your voice could also become hoarse & cracked. You may also find it is difficult to swallow if you have been exposed to the poison too much.

At Number 4...
Lily-of-the-vally also falls into the poisonous category althoughthe flower looks too cute. ;-)
The entire plant is poisonous, from the tips of its bell shaped white flowers to the very water in which they maybe placed. Too much exposure to the flower may result in
  • Nausea
  • Abdominal Pain
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Cramps
  • Irregular heart rates

At Number 3...
The plant Hydrangea, if exposed or accidentally consumed will cause itchy skin, vomiting, weakness, sweating. Extreme cases may result in the patient slipping off to coma, convulsions & even breakdown of blood circulation.

At Number 2....
Although, the leaves of the plant Foxglove are used commercially to produce 
the heart drug Digitalis,  accidental consumption of any part of the plant would result in: nausea, vomiting,
 cramps, diarrhea and later would agrravate into heart conditions such as slow heart rate.

And At Number 1....
The plant Wisteria is entirely poisonous. Exposure to the plant  cause nausea, vomiting, cramps and diarrhea that could require treatments such as intravenous hydration and anti-nausea pills.


No comments: